Alcohol digital marketing: challenges and policy options for better health in WHO European Region
November 15th, 2021 @ 11:00 – 13:30 (CET) – Online event
Empowering Young People: Resisting the lure of the alcohol industry
November 15th, 2021 @ 13:00 (CET) – Online event
- Dr Helen McMonagle – Why from a neurodevelopmental point of view, no alcohol is the safest option for under 18s
- Professor David Jernigan – Agenda of the alcohol industry regarding youth alcohol consumption
Celebration to mark Eric Carlin’s leadership and commitment as Director of SHAAP
November 15th, 2021 @ 16:00 – 18:00 (CET) – Online event
Scottish Health Action on Alcohol Problems (SHAAP) and Scottish Alcohol Research Network (SARN) warmly invite you to join us on Monday 15 November from 15:00 GMT to celebrate the leadership and commitment of Dr Eric Carlin, SHAAP’s Director for nine years.
There will be six short presentations on the following major projects/reports overseen by Dr Eric Carlin during his time as SHAAP Director:
- Liver Disease, by Professor John Dillon
- Lived Experience, by Jardine Simpson
- International Work, by Mariann Skar and Donald Henderson
- Sports Marketing, by Dr Richard Purves and Vivienne McLaren
- LGBT Drinking, by Professor Carol Emslie
- COVID Heavy Drinkers Guidance, by Dr Peter Rice and Michaela Jones
The seminar will formally conclude at 16:30, but we will have time until 17:00 for further discussion.
Those who register will be able to watch the event online. We are also gauging interest in hosting this as a ‘hybrid’ event (both online and in person) – please indicate when you register whether or not you would attend this seminar in person in Edinburgh.
This event is free to attend and open to all.
Population-wide interventions for reducing alcohol consumption: what is the per capita consumption indicator telling us?
November 16th, 2021 @ 15:00 – 16:30 (CET) – Online event
This event aims at discussing the validity and reliability of alcohol per capita consumption, its sensitivity to describe changes in alcohol control policies and reflect on the implication of COVID-19 pandemic in alcohol consumption projected trends by 2030.
The target audience includes policymakers, government officials and civil servants, civil society groups, media and researchers with an interest on this topic.
Participation in this event is by invitation. If you have not received one, you can still register; your application will be considered.
MCA – Interventions & Recovery
November 17th, 2021 @ 10:00 – 16:00 (CET) – Online event
The Medical Council on Alcohol 2021 Annual Symposium on “Interventions & Recovery” will take place on 17 November 2021 online.
Exploring Community Alcohol Detox
November 17th, 2021 @ 12:30 (CET) – Online event
As part of European Alcohol Awareness Week, The Project Management Group of The Community Alcohol Detox Initiative is hosting a webinar focusing on Exploring Community Alcohol Detox.
This is an essential webinar for service providers, GP’s and all professionals who work to support and improve the health and wellbeing of individuals who have alcohol dependence or engage in harmful drinking. It is essential to create awareness, work collaboratively and strengthen our capacity to work together and respond to problematic alcohol use in the community.
The Community Alcohol Detox project is a strategic regional response that covers four Local Drug and Alcohol Task Force areas; Ballyfermot, Canal Communities, Dublin 12, and the South Inner City. The project is targeting individuals who would like to address their alcohol use. The strategic vision of the project is to improve the health and wellbeing of people who have alcohol dependence or are engaged in harmful drinking. This will involve developing robust interagency protocols in line with the National Drug Rehabilitation Framework. The project aims to build on existing resources and expertise to respond to the issues of alcohol misuse and will work collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders.
We will have input from:
- The Project Management Group
- A Dublin-based GP
- Merchants Quay, Ireland
- The Simon Community
- Service users
We aim to cover:
- The role of the Community Alcohol Detox Initiative in mitigating the burden of problematic alcohol use.
- Barriers to service users accessing the Community Alcohol Detox
- The support required for people to complete a Community Alcohol Detox
- What we can do going forward to strengthen our capacity to respond to service users
This is an online event on zoom and you can register below. As always, we will be answering your questions on the night. Please be sure to ask and get involved. The webinar will be recorded on the day and it will be made available online after the event.
If you have any questions or queries, please contact niamh(at)communityresponse.ie or 0861381886.
Alcohol’s impact on the immune system and brain
November 18th, 2021 @ 16:00 (CET) – Online event
This webinar is being run during Alcohol Awareness Week to raise awareness about the impact alcohol has on our immune systems and brains.
You will learn about the latest evidence from the following experts:
- Prof Cliona O’Farrelly, Professor of Comparative Immunology, Trinity College Dublin
- Dr Dara Cannon, Senior Lecturer, Neuroanatomy Director, Clinical Neuroimaging Laboratory, National University of Ireland Galway
- Dr Helen McMonagle, Alcohol-Related Brain Injury Rehabilitation Coordinator, Alcohol Forum Ireland
Pricing policies for SAFER European Region and Americas
November 18th, 2021 @ 16:00 (CET) – Online event
Interfering factors in alcohol policy
November 19th-20th, 2021 @ 10:00 – 17:15, 10:00-13:00 (CET)
CONFERENCE VENUE: Vilnius City Municipality building, Konstitucijos pr. 3, Vilnius 09601, Lithuania
ECL Webinar on Alcohol & Cancer
November 26th, 2021 @ 14:00 – 15:15 (CET) – Online event
As part of a series of webinars focusing on the messages of the European Code Against Cancer (ECAC) and to mark Awareness Week on Alcohol Related Harm (AWARH), we invite you to tune in live for a free, 1-hour 15 minutes webinar which will cover:
- Introduction to the European Code Against Cancer (ECAC)
- The available evidence on alcohol and cancer risk
- How alcohol increases cancer risk
- The impact of alcohol consumption in Europe
- The needs and requirements in alcohol policy and cancer control in Europe
- Q&A, quiz & closing remarks
- Dr Isabelle Soerjomataram, Deputy Head, Cancer Surveillance Branch, International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Maria Neufeld, Consultant, WHO European Office for Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases
- Nena Karavasiloglou, ECL Youth Ambassador for Greece & Switzerland
The event will take place on Zoom on 26 November 2021 (14:00 – 15:10 CET).
After registering, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from Zoom containing your unique dial-in link. If you do not receive it, please check your spam/junk folder or contact Gina(at)europeancancerleagues.org